Thursday 6 May 2010

AN ODE TO HELEN O'GRADY

Katie Spence, a student at Stratton Upper School and the Helen O'Grady Youth Theatre class in Cambourne was moved to write this poem about her time with the Academy.

I started at Helen O'Grady
When I was a youthful Year 9,
Little did I know
That I'd have such an awesome time.

I remember the first time
We played 'Survival Word Tennis',
The fierce competition
Is something that I'll miss.

Many costumes have I worn
Throughout my months spent here,
From disastrously scary,
To some just downright queer.

The production in 2008
Was about film stars and scandals,
I worked with their excited fans,
And made banners with wobbly handles.

The summer production last July
Was the definition of a 'laugh',
A Greek tragedy by teenagers,
I was the stressed-out member of staff!

We've done many wacky warm-ups
At the start of our weekly dramas,
From chewing hums and chanting
To impersonating llamas.

When the outside world was crazy
And school was such a 'mare',
I'd know that on a Friday
My friends at drama would be there.

From Rachel's insane outfits
To Navina's rise to fame,
Life after Helen O'Grady
Will not be quite the same!

Well done Katie!

If any other students, past or present, would like to submit poems for publication, we will happily consider your offerings. Just email margaret@helenogrady.co.uk and you could be on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment